Sony Corporation has released its financial results for the third quarter of the 2020 financial year, this is for a 3 month period ending on the 31st of December 2020. Below you can find a breakdown of both Sony’s overall performance and Sony Interactive Entertainment’s performance.
- PlayStation 4 shipments were 1.4 million consoles in Q3, lifetime shipments are 114.9 million. The PS4 is tracking behind the PS2 which shipped 118.4 million consoles at the same point.
- PlayStation 5 shipments were 4.5 million consoles in Q3, the PS5 is tracking the same as the PS4 despite major supply issues.
- The PlayStation 5 had the biggest launch for any video game console/handheld.
- 103.7 million games were sold in Q3, 18.4 million of which were from Sony Interactive Entertainment published games.
- Over 340 million games were sold in 2020, over 200 million of which were digital. This excludes free games.
- A game was sold every 10.80 seconds on the PS4/PS5, 932,000 games were sold each day.
- Monthly active users are now over 114 million.
- Each user spent an average of $113.89 on the PlayStation Store in 2020.
- Revenue for PlayStation in Q3 was $8.45 billion, this is both a record for PlayStation and the industry. This is also the first time a platform holder reached $8 billion.
- Revenue for PlayStation in 2020 was $22.74 billion, this is both a new record for PlayStation and the industry. PlayStation is the only company to hit $18 billion in a calendar year.
- Net profit for PlayStation in 2020 was $3.33 billion despite launching a new platform, this is a new record for PlayStation and is the first time it passed the $3 billion milestone. The launch year for PS1, PS2 and PS3 all contributed towards losses for PlayStation.
- PlayStation Store revenue was $4.14 billion in Q3, a new record.
- PlayStation Plus reached 47.4 million active subscribers, a new record for the service. This is up 8.6 million year-over-year.
Sony Financial Performance:
- Revenue : ¥2696.5B / $25.80B (up 9.5% year-over-year)
- Operating Profit : ¥359.2B/ $3.44B (up 19.7% year-over-year)
- Net Profit : ¥371.9B / $3.56B (up 62.0% year-over-year)
Top Performing Divisions:
- Game & Network Services (33%)
- Electronic Products & Solutions (24%)
- Financial Services (16%)
- Imaging & Sensing Solutions (10%)
- Music (10%)
- Pictures (7%)
- Electronic Products & Solutions (29%)
- Game & Network Services (22%)
- Music (16%)
- Imaging & Sensing Solutions (14%)
- Financial Services (13%)
- Pictures (6%)
PlayStation Financial Performance:
- Revenue: ¥883.2B / $8.45B (up 39.7% year-over-year)
- Operating Profit: ¥80.2B / $0.767B (up 50.0% year-over-year)
- PlayStation 4 Consoles Shipped: 1.4 million
- PlayStation 4 Life To Date: 114.9 million
- PlayStation 5 Consoles Shipped: 4.5 million
- Software Sold: 103.4 million
- Digital Ratio: 53%
- PlayStation Plus Subscribers: 47.4 million
- Monthly Active Users: 114 million