Square Enix has announced Octopath Traveler II for the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, PC and Switch. The game will release worldwide on the 23rd of February 2023, it will be available both physically and digitally. A Collector’s Edition release will also be available. Square Enix has also confirmed that characters will interact with each other more and share more stories, addressing one of the biggest criticisms from the first game.
Here’s what the Collector’s Edition includes:
- Physical copy of the game
- Travelers Bust Set: bust figurines of the eight protagonists
- Art Book
- Mini Soundtrack CD
Details via Square Enix:
In Octopath Traveler II, players will embark on an exciting journey through the brand-new world of Solistia. Developed by the same team behind the beloved original, which has sold over three million copies worldwide, this installment improves upon the series’ iconic HD-2D visuals: a striking blend of retro 2D characters in a beautiful 3D world. The game’s new storyline, characters and features make it the perfect entry for newcomers to the series, while also preserving the charm of the original game for veteran players. Players can look forward to following the journey of eight distinct protagonists as they explore the land and conquer enemies in strategic turn-based battles on an adventure all their own
New and returning gameplay features and elements include:
– Break & Boost Battle System – Players must act strategically to exploit enemy weaknesses to “Break” them in order to inflict more damage, and “Boost” their travelers to enhance their abilities.
– Path Actions – Players can interact with NPCs throughout the world in various ways by using actions unique to each character. Path Actions will vary depending on the protagonist and whether it is day or night.
– Brand-New Story and Characters – Players can embark on a grand adventure in the new land of Solistia and experience the intertwined stories of eight new travelers: Hikari (Warrior), Agnea (Dancer), Partitio (Merchant), Osvald (Scholar), Throné (Thief), Temenos (Cleric), Ochette (Hunter), and Castti (Apothecary).
– Day / Night Cycle – The townscapes and Path Actions available to each character will change depending on if it is night or day, creating more opportunities for exploration and discovery.
– Latent Power – A new battle element in which characters can unleash a powerful ability once the ability’s gauge fills up during combat.
– Crossed Paths – Additional stories will unfold between the protagonists as their journey progresses, further intertwining their narratives.