Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced that the PlayStation VR2 will release worldwide early in 2023, further details were not revealed.
- Display Method: OLED
- Panel Resolution: 2000 x 2040 per eye
- Panel Refresh Rate: 90Hz, 120Hz
- Lens Separation: Adjustable
- Field of View: Approx. 110 degrees
- Sensors: Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer). Attachment Sensor: IR Proximity sensor.
- Cameras: Four cameras for headset and controller tracking. IR camera for eye tracking per eye.
- Feedback: Vibration on headset
- Communication with PlayStation 5: USB Type-C
- Audio Input: Built-in microphone.
- Output: Stereo headphone jack.
PSVR2 Controller Details:
- Buttons: [Right] PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle / Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right Stick / R3 button [Left] PS button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle / Square), L1 button, L2 button, Left Stick / L3 button
- Sensing / Tracking: Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer). Capacitive Sensor: Finger Touch Detection. IR LED: Position Tracking.
- Feedback: Trigger Effect (on R2/L2 button), Haptic Feedback (by single actuator per unit).
- Port: USB Type-C Port.
- Communication: Bluetooth Ver 5.1.
- Battery Type: Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery.
Details via Sony Interactive Entertainment:
PlayStation VR2 takes virtual reality gaming to a whole new level, enabling a greater sense of presence and allowing players to escape into game worlds like never before. With the headset on and controllers in hand, players will feel a heightened range of sensations unlike any other—thanks to the creativity of the game worlds being built by our world class developers, and the latest technology incorporated into the hardware.
Building upon our innovations from PlayStation 5, PlayStation VR2 adds a true next-gen experience with high-fidelity visuals, new sensory features, and enhanced tracking—along with a simplified single-cord setup.
– Visual Fidelity – For a high-fidelity visual experience, PlayStation VR2 offers 4K HDR, 110-degree field of view, and foveated rendering. With an OLED display, players can expect a display resolution of 2000×2040 per eye and smooth frame rates of 90 / 120Hz.
– Headset-Based Controller Tracking – With inside-out tracking, PlayStation VR2 tracks you and your controller through integrated cameras embedded in the virtual reality headset. Your movements and the direction you look at are reflected in-game without the need for an external camera.
– New Sensory Features – PlayStation VR2 Sense Technology combines eye tracking, headset feedback, 3D Audio, and the innovative PlayStation VR2 Sense controller to create an incredibly deep feeling of immersion. Headset feedback is a new sensory feature that amplifies the sensations of in-game actions from the player. It’s created by a single built-in motor with vibrations that add an intelligent tactile element, bringing players closer to the gameplay experience. For example, gamers can feel a character’s elevated pulse during tense moments, the rush of objects passing close to the character’s head, or the thrust of a vehicle as the character speeds forward. Additionally, PlayStation 5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech makes sounds in the player’s surroundings come alive, adding to this new level of immersion.
– Eye Tracking – With eye tracking, PlayStation VR2 detects the motion of your eyes, so a simple look in a specific direction can create an additional input for the game character. This allows players to interact more intuitively in new and lifelike ways, allowing for a heightened emotional response and enhanced expression that provide a new level of realism in gaming.
All of these advancements in PlayStation VR2, combined with the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers from the PlayStation VR2 Sense controllers, enable players to feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way. PlayStation VR2 will also have a simple setup process—with a single cable connected directly to PlayStation 5, you can immediately jump into the VR experience.
Today we are also pleased to reveal that one of the biggest exclusive franchises on PlayStation will be coming to PlayStation VR2—Horizon Call of the Mountain from Guerrilla Games and Firesprite. This original game is being built specifically for PlayStation VR2 and will open the doors for players to go deeper into the world of Horizon.
I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s exciting updates. Just remember, this is only a taste of things to come, and I can’t wait to share more details with you about PlayStation VR2. In the meantime, below is the list of official specifications.