Koei Tecmo has announced that the Nioh franchise has sold over 6 million copies worldwide across the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and PC, this includes sales from the recently released Nioh Collection. The series reached the 5 million milestone in April 2021, meaning that an additional 1 million copies were sold in 5 months.
Nioh Details via Koei Tecmo:
Ancient demons, feudal lands
Take up your sword and travel to Japan’s blood-bathed Sengoku period – an era ravaged by warring states and dark, malevolent forces – and cut a violent path through the land as the masterless samurai, William.
Cross blades in brutal hand-to-hand combat, wielding swords, axes, spears and even war hammers against foes both human and demon. Endure the vicious encounters and learn from your mistakes: each death will bring you resurrection and each resurrection a greater resolve to overcome your foes.
Taking inspiration from the Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls series of games, Nioh invites you to muster the resilience of a true samurai: the skills and patience to overcome even the deadliest enemies and the courage to remain steadfast even in the face of death.
– The art of kenjutsu… and more: Master every fighting style – learn the flow of combat, and move with deadly precision. Unleash a stunning combination of attacks specific to a range of authentic samurai weapons, including polearms, katanas and axes.
– A dangerous dynasty: Explore a fantastical and dark vision of 16th century Japan – fight alongside legendary heroes and against horrific villains of the Warring States period.
– Monstrous myths and frightening fables: Face brutal and grotesque enemies – do you have the courage to stand alone against skilled samurai, vile beasts and demons known as the Yokai.
Nioh 2 Details via Koei Tecmo:
Defy your own mortality in this savage action RPG.
Master the lethal arts of the samurai as a mysterious half-human, half-supernatural Yokai warrior, in this challenging action RPG sequel.
Explore violent Sengoku-era Japan and the deadly Dark Realm, both plagued with grotesque, merciless demons.
Unsheathe your deadly weapons and cut down all enemies in your path using a revamped combat system and the ability to transform into a full Yokai to unleash devastating paranormal powers.
– Brutal weapons and enemies: Take down a host of deadly new Yokai, seasoned samurai warriors and gargantuan boss monsters that litter Team Ninja’s stylized vision of Japan’s early Sengoku period. Cut down enemies with the transforming Switchglaive, versatile hatchets, or many of the returning weapons from Nioh – including DLC favorites, the Tonfa and Odachi. Each weapon comes with a massively expanded skill tree allowing you to customize your counters, movesets and playstyle, while Yokai enemies can now drop Soul Cores on defeat, allowing you to wield their demonic abilities yourself.
– A world of war and demons: Explore tense, sprawling environments that draw inspiration from both Japanese history and traditional Japanese mythology. Cross swords with real-life historical figures and the supernatural spirits of Japan’s rich folklore. In the service of charismatic leader Oda Nobunaga, battle your way across Japan facing off with fearsome clans and embattled warlords. From towering castles, to sleepy forest villages and poison-filled caves, each new area will test your skills in different ways.
– Unleash your inner demon: As a half-human, half Yokai, channel your inner demonic strength with a whole host of new skills, both innate and adopted from other demons you encounter. When these abilities are not enough, give in to your dark side and transform to Yokai form, wielding powerful new weapons and combos and draining the spirit from your enemies.