Kore Yamazaki’s Mahoutsukai no Yome (The Ancient Magus’ Bride) is getting a new anime project. The first part of the anime project will be an OAD (original anime disc) titled Mahoutsukai no Yome: Nishi no Shounen to Seiran no Kishi (The Ancient Magus’ Bride: The Boy From the West and the Knight of the Mountain Haze). The OAD will be produced at a new studio and have a new director as well.
The OAD will contain three episodes and will be bundled with the limited edition variants of the manga’s 16th, 17th and 18th volumes. The 16th volume is due out on the 10th of September 2021. The OAD will be written by Yamazaki-san and takes place before Chise enrols in the college. The OAD will tell two different stories, the first will follow Chise and Elias’ adventure after a Spriggan informs them about a Wild Hunt. The second will follow a new character by the name of Gabriel as he is introduced to the world of magic.
- Studio: Studio Kafka (new studio)
- Director: Kazuaki Terasawa (Anonymous Noise)
- Chief Animation Director: Kouhei Tokuoka (Fate/Apocrypha)
- Scripts: Aya Takaha (Mahoutsukai no Yome)
- Character Design: Hirotaka Katou (Mahoutsukai no Yome)
- Composition: Junichi Matsumoto (Mahoutsukai no Yome)
- Art Design: Seiki Tamura (Mahoutsukai no Yome)
- Color Design: Yuko Kobari (Gangsta.)
- Director of Photography: Mayo Suzuki (Gun Gale Online)
- CGI Director: Katsuaki Miyaji (Tiger & Bunny)
- Editing: Daisuke Imai (Mahoutsukai no Yome)
- Music Production Flying Dog (Amanchu!)
- Audio Director: Shouji Hata (DARLING in the FRANXX)
- Sound Effects: Noriko Izumo (Fairy Tail)
- Audio Production: Sound Team Don Juan (Fairy Tail)
Chise Hatori, a 15-year-old Japanese girl, was sold for five million pounds at an auction to a tall masked gentleman. Abandoned at a young age and ridiculed by her peers for her unconventional behavior, she was ready to give herself to any buyer if it meant having a place to go home to. In chains and on her way to an unknown fate, she hears whispers from robed men along her path, gossiping and complaining that such a buyer got his hands on a rare “Sleigh Beggy.”
Ignoring the murmurs, the mysterious man leads the girl to a study, where he reveals himself to be Elias Ainsworth—a magus. After a brief confrontation and a bit of teleportation magic, the two open their eyes to Elias’ picturesque cottage in rural England. Greeted by fairies and surrounded by weird and wonderful beings upon her arrival, these events mark the beginning of Chise’s story as the apprentice and supposed bride of the ancient magus.